Top 5 Signs Your Roofing Contractor is Ripping You Off. There could be nothing worse than getting ripped off when installing your dream roof. Unfortunately, there’s no dearth of unscrupulous roofing companies all over the country that don’t hesitate to scam their clients and rip them off their hard-earned money. Most often, these fly-by-night roofers come disguised as the best roofers offering their services at the cheapest prices.
Due to these scam artists, the reputation of even honest contractors is getting tarnished day by day. Many of these incompetent and dishonest roofers do not have any proper license, experience, and knowledge about providing roofing services. All they know is how to rip off homeowners with their overly enthusiastic sales tactics and too-good-to-be-true offers.
As a responsible homeowner, always make sure to choose your roofing contractor carefully. Get some basic roofing knowledge and have some good commonsense so that you can hire a trustworthy and well-established local roofing contractor. This simple step can help to save some serious money and trouble in the long run.
At Matlock Roofing, we simply hate hearing about homeowners losing their money on unreliable services offered by these scam artists. That’s why our experts have prepared this handy list of some of the common red flags you should look out for when selecting a roofing contractor for your project.
1. Overpricing The Material: A common way many roofing contractors rip off homeowners is by overpricing their material. Roofing contractors are aware that most homeowners have no experience in handling a roofing project. So, in most cases, they get away by charging way more than the actual cost price of the material. What’s more, they might even add the cost of materials that they haven’t used in your project.
2. Offering Ridiculously Low Prices: On the other hand, be extra careful of roofing contractors that may offer you unbelievingly low prices by using substandard products, cheap shingles, and poor-quality roofing materials. Fortunately, you can avoid this by double-checking with them and asking them to use the exact product or brand name for your project.
Make sure to check the price of materials yourself. Conduct some online research to determine the right price of the materials. If you’re in doubt, ask your roofing contractor for the purchase proof. At Matlock Roofing, our transparent and honest practices ensure that we use only the highest quality materials in all our projects for long-lasting and stunning results.
3. Improper Prep Work: Some roofing companies also try to boost their profit margins by compromising on the quality of prep work. Additionally, they may not properly install the critical roofing components like skylights, gutters, and flashing. This way they can reduce their labor time significantly while charging you an exorbitant price for the installation.
4. Applying a Single Coat Of Paint: During our experience as the leading roofing contractor, we have seen many roofers applying only one coat of paint to save money. The right amount of high-quality paint with multiple coats can help fix many roofing issues. Most homeowners do not notice the single coat even several months after the completion of their project or until they start experiencing issues like leaks and decreased energy efficiency in their homes.
That’s why it’s so important to ask your roofer about all the work done every day when they leave your home. This way, you can discover any poor quality prep work right away and you can ask them to rectify the issue.
5. Using Bait And Switch Tactics: Your roofing contractor may use a tried and tested scamming technique on you called bait and switch. In this, some roofing contractors attract homeowners by offering them a very low quote during an initial consultation. And once they’re selected for the project and the contract is signed, they increase the price immediately. They may call these changes additional costs or upgrades.
The exact type of materials and the amount of work needed for the job must be mentioned in the contract before the start your project. This is the stage when the contract can be easily modified by including necessary changes before you make any payment.
As one of the most trusted and well-established roofing contractors in the region, we believe that every homeowner has the right to get their dream roof without being scammed or charged more than the right and honest price. That’s why our roofing experts are committed to delivering the best roofing experience and best value for money to the homeowners in this area.
For more information on our roofing services and products, get in touch with our Matlock Roofing experts and receive a no-obligation FREE estimate today in Hattiesburg, MS.